Use this quick-check guide to make sure you are fully prepared for your Day Surgery visit.
You will be more comfortable afterwards if you wear loose fitting clothing. No night attire or toiletries are necessary.
You should not smoke or drink alcohol 24 hours prior to admission.
Do not wear make-up including mascara or nail polish.
On the day of surgery
- Bathe or shower. You may be asked by your doctor to use a disinfectant wash or soap.
- Make sure you have a responsible adult who will be able to accompany you on the day of your surgery.
- Unless otherwise instructed, do not have anything to eat or drink SIX hours prior to surgery – this includes water.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing.
- Arrive at the Day Surgery at the time advised.
- A warm jacket
- Current medications.
- Glasses, hearing and other aids.
- Relevant x-rays and test results
- Any Day Surgery paper work especially your Consent Form – completed
- Medicare card
- Private health insurance details
- Any pension /concession and pharmaceutical entitlement cards
- Full Payment if required
- Favourite toy, formula, bottle and any special dietary needs for children
- Contact Details for Carer Escort
We strongly advise that you do not bring any valuables i.e. jewellery, watches
Should I take my medications?
If you are on any medications, prescribed or over the counter including herbal remedies, it is wise to check with your surgeon whether to continue these . If you need to take medication on the day of surgery please bring that medicine with you.
After your procedure you will be taken to the recovery area. During this time our nursing staff will continually monitor your progress and comfort. Your length of stay is dependant on the procedure your have had done. Usually patients are discharged between two and fours hours after treatment.
In the first 24 hours after surgery, you MUST NOT:
- Be alone at home
- Drink alcohol
- Make important decisions or sign important documents
- Be the primary child carer
- Drive a vehicle or operate machinery
If you have bought X-rays, make sure you take them home.